Friday, December 08, 2006

2007 Saint of the Year Devotion

I am honored to be chosen this year by St. Agnes. My daughter has been chosen by St. Agatha. I see these two young virgin martyrs as sisters, even though the common blood they share is martyrdom and not familial. Historically, they were born about 150 years apart, and both had promised their virginity to Christ as young girls, only to be thrown into brothels so that they would renounce their chastity. Both were cruelly tortured and killed, St. Agatha having had her breasts mutilated and then rolled onto live coals.

These two ancient saints remind me of a third, who will most likely never be recognized by the Catholic Church but who I feel is just as worthy of reverence. Her name is Marian Fisher and she was Amish. You may remember reading about her just recently, one of 5 little Amish girls who were killed when a deranged man broke into their little schoolhouse, bound them and shot them to death. Marian Fisher was 13 years old. One of the surviving girls recounted how, when bound by this “outsider” waving a gun and threatening her, Marian Fisher told him to “shoot me and leave the other ones loose.” I am still astounded at her bravery and her willingness to give her life for the sake of the other girls in the schoolhouse. I am sure she is a saint and embodies the spirit of St. Agatha and St. Agnes, who at about the same tender age braved death to protect their virginity and in fidelity to Christ. “No greater love have a man than this: than to lay down his life for the sake of his friends.” I pray through the intercession of these saints that I am fortified to defend my faith, even unto death.

My son was chosen by the Archangel Raphael, whose name means “God has healed”. My son’s name, Jaden, comes from the Hebrew Jadon, which means “God has heard”. God indeed has heard and has healed me these past two years, with the birth of my beautiful twins. I have included the Litany to St. Raphael in my daily prayers.

Thanks to Moneybags for this 2007 Saint of the Year Devotion. If you haven’t already, take a minute to participate at A Catholic Life .

1 Comments:

Blogger Laura H. said...

That's beautiful.

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home